3/08/2016

My banana veg muffins

Yes there are MY banana veg muffins. I have adapted them to meet my needs. I have made them so often tonight I actually didn't even glance at the recipe, whipped it all together from memory. I'll post pics asap but I write when I have a free moment. 
The recipe makes approximately 24, I leave a dozen in the fridge and toss the rest in the freezer. It is a very forgiving recipe. I don't actually measure the banana veg goo, I have added chocolate chips, chia seeds, protein powder, nuts, and even extra veggies before with consistently great results.  The protein powder and chickpea flour add an additional 2 grams of protein per muffin, good for breakfast on the go.
Only warnings, strongly flavored veggies will come through, like beets and even spinach. Just use them in a mix of other veggies, you need the blander or sweet veggies to balance. Sweet potatoes especially help with the more bitter flavors. Also my version requires an immersion blender. These things are amazing, you should get one. 


Okay I technically over baked (most of) these. They shouldn't be so dry or browned at the bottom. Pro tip, don't let them get more than a light golden brown, which can be difficult to judge based on the veggies you use. 



Adapted from Zucchini Banana Muffins from Katrina's Kitchen

Zucchini Banana Muffins


Ingredients:

2 cups AP flour
1 cup chickpea flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
 

4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup applesauce, or similar stuff, like baby food or pouches
2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
1 1/2 cups veggies etc (options - shredded carrots, chopped squash, cooked sweet potatoes, shredded zucchini, fresh baby spinach, chopped kale, apples, roasted peeled beets, canned or fresh pumpkin)



Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 12-cup muffins tins pans. 
  2. In a large bowl combing the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. 
  3. In another medium bowl combine the eggs, vanilla, protein powder, sugar, oil, applesauce, bananas, and veg mix. Blend with an immersion blender until completely liquid. 
  4. Add the liquid to the flour mixture and stir until just incorporated.  
  5. Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans and bake for 18-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. 
  6. Remove from the pan, cool on wire rack before serving. The flavor develops as they cool, also they'll stick to the liners if too hot. Store in an airtight container or freeze.
  
I'm sure there are proper baking reasons why blending the liquids isn't good for the muffins but it works for me, makes it very fast and simple, and there are no chunks for my kids to pick out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment